Managing Director of Development and External Affairs
Location: Chicago, IL
Impact for Equity, a highly regarded and impactful public interest law and policy center, seeks a mission-driven Managing Director of Development to lead Impact for Equity’s fundraising and development work advancing transformational change and racial, economic, and social justice.
Impact for Equity, formerly known as BPI, is a public interest law and policy center that has been at the front lines of the fight for social justice in the Chicago region for over fifty years. Known for its innovative and effective advocacy for racial and economic equity, today Impact for Equity is deeply engaged in advancing systemic change in housing, policing, and the criminal legal system.
With collaboration as a core value, Impact for Equity partners with people directly impacted by racial and economic injustice and the community-based and advocacy organizations that serve them. The organization’s tenacious lawyers and policy staff employ a combination of legal tools, policy research, organizing, advocacy, and convening to achieve transformational change. Impact for Equity works to develop nuanced policies and programs, advance effective strategies, catalyze strong coalitions, and advance progress toward its overarching vision of a state where every person has the right and opportunity to live their fullest life in a thriving community and free of systemic barriers. A stimulating workplace, Impact for Equity is committed to offering opportunities to learn, grow, and contribute meaningfully to work that advances racial, economic, and social justice. Impact for Equity has an annual budget of $3.1 million and is led by a 28-member Board of Directors and 17 staff members, including attorneys and policy experts.
The Managing Director is the key senior staff member directing a team of devoted and passionate communication and fundraising professionals to increase the presence of Impact for Equity in philanthropic, advocacy, legal and civic communities in Chicago and beyond. This position reports to the Executive Director and works closely with the Board, Senior Associate Director of Development, Communications Manager and Program Managers.
Fundraising Strategy and Systems
- Develop and execute an annual fundraising plan to diversify and strengthen the funding base and support annual growth goals;
- Create major gift fundraising strategies and tactics as well as systems to identify and build a pipeline of new prospective major donors;
- Launch a planned giving program, recruiting leadership, and developing relevant collateral to encourage the inclusion of Impact for Equity in will and estate plans;
- Develop systems to provide the Executive Director, Board and other senior leaders with the tools they need towards cultivating, soliciting and stewarding donors;
- Oversee a system of personalized gift acknowledgement and recognition;
- Establish and maintain relationships with existing donors and potential major donors, ensuring timely communication and stewardship to nurture ongoing support;
- Manage a personal portfolio of current and prospective donors;
- Implement a moves management system with individualized plans for major gift donors;
- Work with senior leadership to identify and cultivate new foundation partners;
- Build close, trusted relationships with foundation program officers;
- Supervise and collaborate with the development team to meet foundation funder reporting requirements and pursue new grant opportunities;
- Oversee systems to maintain foundation calendar and processes for letters of intent, grant applications and reports;
- Oversee execution of the annual spring gala;
- Collaborate with Senior Associate Director of Development and Program Directors on the creation of donor cultivation events;
- Create leadership opportunities, recruitment tools, sponsorship benefits and additional touchpoints that lead to an annual increase in revenue;
Data and Administration
- Supervise recording of data and donor information in Little Green Light; prioritize maintaining the organization’s donor and prospect information so that it is always up-to-date and accurate;
- Oversee gift entry process, donor acknowledgements, and track relationships among staff, Board and donor community;
- Use data and metrics to measure and communicate success, and to guide development strategies;
- In collaboration with the Managing Director of Finance and Operations, ensure that Impact for Equity’s philanthropic efforts are transparent and fiscally sound;
Communications and Marketing
- Collaborate with the Communications Manager in the development of an annual communications strategy with clear objectives and measurable outcomes that enhance Impact for Equity’s visibility across multiple constituencies and issue areas;
- Oversee the creation of appropriate and compelling messaging that highlights the critical policy issues that Impact for Equity addresses, along with the powerful stories of impact;
- Oversee the Communications Manager to create and disseminate organizational and programmatic updates to distinct audiences, using social, digital, print and electronic media.